The purpose of the Commuter Connections Flextime Rewards Program (the “Program”) is to encourage commuters to take advantage of flexible work schedules offered by their employer. By doing so, commuters will avoid increasing peak-period congestion during major incidents or higher-than-average traffic days along selected corridors.
The Program is for commuters in the Washington, DC region who work for employers that permit the flexibility to stagger arrival and departure times from work on any given day, based on traffic conditions.
A collaboration between the University of Maryland and Commuter Connections, it helps commuters avoid sitting in heavier-than-usual traffic. The Program helps lower stress by removing the unpredictability of commuting by car in the DC region.
- It’s free to sign up and use.
- Commuters indicate which routes they take to and from work.
- An alert is sent to the commuter when particularly heavy traffic congestion occurs along their route, during peak morning or afternoon periods.
- On such days, the commuter may elect to delay travel until after peak hours, thus avoiding excessive time spent in traffic.
- Peak hours are Monday through Friday, 6:30 to 9:30 a.m., and 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- To participate, sign up for a free account with Commuter Connections, then apply for the free Program.
Bonus for Bottlenecks! We’ve identified the four corridors below, notoriously known for becoming overly congested at times, on any given day. A $100 raffle drawing will be held each month for commuters who would otherwise travel through one or more of the eligible corridors during peak times, and after receiving a notification, elect to delay their trip outside of the peak time frames.
- I-495 Inner Loop – between VA-267 and I-270 Spur
- I-495 Outer Loop – between I-95 and MD-193
- I-66 EB at VA-267
- DC-295 SB at Benning Road
To become eligible for incentive payments, participants must sign up for a free account with Commuter Connections, then apply for free Program to start receiving alerts and log their off-peak commute.
Rules of Eligibility
- A commuter downloading the Commuter Connections mobile application to participate in the Program is a “User”.
- User must be commuting to and from work to qualify for the Program. Students traveling to school are not eligible.
- User must currently be commuting during the peak period, i.e., non-holiday, weekday between 6:30-9:30 a.m. and 4:00-7:00 p.m. to qualify for the Program.
- User must commute to work an average of two (2) or more weekdays, i.e., Monday through Friday, for the entire duration of the Program to qualify. Commutes on the weekend do not qualify. User must indicate which days of the week he/she travels to and from work.
- User must officially register with Commuter Connections and submit a completed Flextime Incentive Application, which includes, but is not limited to, User’s name, address, phone number and the name, address and phone number of User’s employer, and User’s agreement that Commuter Connections may contact the employer to verify the information. Existing Commuter Connections members may opt into the Program once they meet all requirements.
- User must not be teleworking an average of more than three (3) days per week during his/her participation.
- User must be using one of the following corridors for his/her commute:
- I-495 inner loop between VA-267 and I-270 Spur
- I-495 outer loop between I-95 and MD-193
- I-66 eastbound at VA-267
- DC-295 southbound at Benning Rd.
- Commuter Connections maintains the right to terminate the Program with or without notice at any time and for any reason.
- If accepted into the Program, User must provide a valid email address and/or download the Commuter Connections mobile app in order to receive a notification for participation.
- In order to be eligible for incentives, User must adjust his/her normal commute trip and record the action using Commuter Connections’ software.
- A valid response by User to a flextime notification will gain one entry for a prize drawing to be held at the end of the month. If multiple notifications are sent to an eligible User throughout a month, multiple entries will be permitted for such User. If no notifications are sent throughout a month, no prize drawing will occur.
- Financial incentives offered may come in the form of direct payment, gift certificates/cards or debit cards.
- All information supplied by the User must be accurate. Commuter Connections reserves the right to refuse User’s application and/or discontinue his/her participation in this Program, including the right to withhold payment of his/her incentive, if Commuter Connections/COG believes the User has failed to meet all obligations. Commuter Connections reserves the right to contact the User and his/her employer to verify the information provided. The User’s supervisor must verify (to the best of his/her knowledge) the hours in which the User’s schedule is flexible.
- This is a pilot program. The User’s accurate and prompt responses to evaluation surveys may be necessary for determining the value of the Program.
- Space in the Program may be limited. Commuter Connections reserves the right to reject any application if the Program capacity is met, even if the applicant qualifies for the Program. Applicants are not officially enrolled in the Program until they receive notification from Commuter Connections.
- If a dispute arises regarding any aspect of the Program, including, but not limited to, interpretation of the Program Requirements or Participation Requirements, accuracy of the information provided by the User or the User’s eligibility to participate in the Program, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments/Commuter Connections shall be the final decision-maker regarding such a dispute. Any decisions will be final.
- As a condition of participation, User must provide correct, current, and complete information.
- User must provide a valid home/mailing address. All materials will be sent to this address.
- User must provide a valid email address and/or downloaded the Commuter Connections app in order to receive a notification to participate in the Program.
- User must provide valid contact information for his/her supervisor at the place of employment.
- Commuter Connections reserves the right to contact the User and/or the User’s employer to verify his/her participation in the Program and/or his/her commute behavior.
- The information provided by the User will be used by Commuter Connections to facilitate his/her participation in the Program.
- The incentives offered through the Program are provided to applicants on a first-come, first-serve basis and that Commuter Connections has the right to terminate this Program at any time without notice.
- If a dispute arises regarding any aspect of the Program, including, but not limited to, interpretation of the Program Requirements, the accuracy of the information the User provides, or the User’s eligibility to participate, Commuter Connections shall be the final decision-maker regarding such disputes. Any decision will be final and binding on the User’s status as a User in the Program.
- Any incentive payments received by User from Commuter Connections are subject to federal and state income taxes. The User is solely responsible for any liability that may result from such incentive payments.
- Commuter Connections reserves its rights to pursue any penalties and remedies to the fullest extent of the law against a User who knowingly provides false misleading information, knowingly receives public funds fraudulently, and/or knowingly abuses the use of public funds.
- By providing information on this application, User understands that such information may be used by Commuter Connections or a third party to contact User regarding his/her interest in additional financial incentives, additional programs or services, or for information related to his/her experience using alternative modes of transportation. If User does not wish to be contacted for these reasons, they can indicate so by checking a box when filling out the Flextime Rewards program application.