Why Bicycle to Work?
- Riding to work costs less than driving or taking transit, especially if you already own a bike.
- Cycling allows you to stay in shape while you commute.
- People who bike to work arrive invigorated and work off the day’s stress on the way home.
- Biking to work means less traffic congestion and pollution for the region.
How to get started:
Here are some suggestions to help you ease into bicycle commuting:
- Try a practice run on a weekend to find a good route and see how long it takes.
- Find a co-worker or friend who bikes and commute with them.
- Start by trying just one day a week.
- Drive part of the way and bike the rest.
- If you don’t own a bike, use Capital Bikeshare, http://www.capitalbikeshare.com
- Bike to the nearest transit location, and secure your bike for the day, or take it with you on bus or rail. Click the following link for more details about bikes and transit: http://www.commuterconnections.org/commuters/bicycling/1087-2/
- The Washington Area Bicyclist Association’s commuter mentor program can put you in touch with other people in your neighborhood who bike to work and help you find the most comfortable route. Call 202/518-0524 or visit http://www.waba.org